Saturday, June 23, 2012

Daily's Frozen Pina Colada Part II

So, I've already written about how I love these single serving frozen beverages.  Sorry to be a bore, but sometimes you just need something old, familiar, comfortable, and something you know you're going to love.  I can't be creative all the time!  Plus, this has been sitting in my freezer for weeks, and it's been driving me crazy looking at it, but not drinking it!

It's the same way with books.  I love to read.  I generally read every night in bed.  I've tried to branch out and read different things, but I always end up going back to the same old things; cheesy romance.  It's not to say I don't enjoy other types of books, but the cheesy romance is the best for me.  I have major insomnia issues, by reading anything other than cheesy romance, I'm setting myself to be up all night long.  Mystery books scare me so I lie awake waiting for the boogie man to get me.  Drama books leave me wanting more and more and more, and I end up reading all night long. Comedy books get me all riled up so I can't relax, self help books get me wanting to implement every suggestion at that very minute.  Not reading at all makes it so all my personal thoughts and stress just floats around in my head all night long.  Cheesy romance is the only thing I have found that distracts me enough to relax, but doesn't intrigue me enough so that I can't stop thinking about it.  It's easy to read, and easy to put down.  They are all pretty predictable, so there isn't anything that gets my heart pumping, and that is exactly what I need at night.

Go to Amazon for the real Click to look inside!
With that said, I'm currently reading a book that isn't helping me sleep, but it's helping me a ton in other ways.  I heard about this book a few years ago on my favorite website (other than Facebook!) Fit Bottomed Mamas, (seriously, I go there for all my "being a healthy Mom advice").  They suggested this book, so I asked for it for Christmas for a few years, and finally got it this past Christmas!  And now that it's June, I'm finally reading it!  It's called "Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving - and Not Lose your Family, Job, or Sanity" by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea.  It's freaking fantastic!  It's everything I need lately.  I've been a tad lazy.  Sure, I get out a few times a week and run still, but that's about it.  And, I use the fact that I run as an excuse to eat anything that I want.  This book has really helped me get my priorities back on track.  If I'm going to be a runner, I need to be a runner.  That means making it a priority, getting my butt out of bed in the mornings to get it done, eating properly before and after so I have the energy to get through the day and the ability to do it again the next morning.  Setting the right example for my kids - stop complaining about being sore and that it's too hot to run.  I love running, I need running, just go do it.  These women are marathon runners, and yet I've been complaining about a measly 3 mile run I need to do.  Sarah and Dimity are wonderful writers, sharing stories from their lives and experiences in a funny yet meaningful way.  Encouraging me to get out there and be the best I can be.  I want to know more about how they managed to train to run 26.2 miles - I cannot stop reading this book.  

I was motivated enough to take the kids and Jon to a park this morning.  I knew had a running trail that goes around it, but for one reason (ie. excuse) or another, I've never visited the trail.  I had them play while I ran.  I can't believe I never ran this trail before!  It's freaking perfect.  It's 1 km around (or 5 times around for your very own 5K! - I'll take 5 times around this course vs. 12 times at the high school track any day!)  It's shaded and clean.  Everyone on this path was friendly - giving encouraging nods towards one another, slower runners moving out of the way for faster ones, some people had a buddy, some people were solo.  The one thing I love about a race is all the encouragement that everyone gives one another, that alone can get my feet moving faster than normal.  Running this trail was like a participating in a mini race - everyone was that awesome.  I can't believe I never ran there before, but you can bet I'm going back!  This book plus this trail was just what I needed to get going again and start thinking about the 5K's I want to run in the fall.  I know I can run them, I could run and finish one tomorrow.  But this year, I want to race it.  I want to set a personal record (I'm not sure what that record is going to be yet, I'll figure it out when I start to push myself a little more).  

I'm not sure if a frozen beverage is the right way to kick off this running season, but as soon as it's done, I'm going to write up my training plan for the next few weeks.  And since I won't be sleeping until I finish this book, I'll have many quiet hours to think about the personal record I want to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment