Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Oak Leaf Part II

A diet size portion
Sarah says:

So, I'm finishing up this cheap, but delicious, wine tonight.  I've been trying to determine how many calories are in a glass of wine, because most bottles don't have that info on them.  This surprises me because I thought it was required that all items that were to be eaten or drank were required to have nutritional information on them... but apparently not.  So, per some random site on google, a typical wine has 25 calories per ounce.  A typical glass of wine has 5 oz.  Pull out your calculators folks, that means a normal glass of wine has 125 calories.  The article continued on to say a diet size portion of wine is only 4 oz, thus 100 calories. 

Since I'm counting calories again (yes, I do this sometimes) I wanted to be able to write an exact amount in my log.  So, I scoured my kitchen for something that measured in ounces.  Turns out, the only thing I could find was this old baby bottle (why I still have this lying around is beyond me!).  The pic above is a 4 oz, diet serving.  I'm actually fairly comfortable that this is how much I put in one glass of wine, when I'm by myself.  The problem is I usually consume more than one.  Then there are those times when Jon is home, we use different (ie. larger) glasses on those nights, I'm probably drinking upwards of 300+ calories on those nights.

I'm torn between my search for the best wine, and my desire to be healthy (ie. skinny, hey, at least I tried to use the healthy word!)  I'm going to do my best to limit drinking empty calories, especially right before bed, without impacting the blog.  The good news is, when I stepped in the scale it was only a tiny bit higher than I want it to be, so this calorie counting craze shouldn't last long (I'd rather jump on it now vs waiting until the number gets even bigger). 

For the record, I ate/drank 1,530 calories today - so stop freaking out - that's a totally normal number.  I'm not starving myself or anything!  My ex-breast milk holder turned wine glass is almost empty.  Since I'm cut off from a refill, I guess that means it's time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment