Wednesday, June 20, 2012

St. Julian


Sarah says:

No, we didn't drink both of these in one night.  We've drank both of these over the course of the past week, and just haven't had the time to write about them.  St. Julian had a sale, 2/$10, so we got one red and one white.  After my last experience with St. Julian, I was feeling pretty good about these.

St. Julian Simply Red

Description on the bottle: Simply Red is a versatile, semi-dry wine which lends itself to use as a mixer or a table wine.  Lake Michigan Shore-grown wine grapes are fermented and aged in our cellars to produce a fruity red wine.  Then, just before bottling, Simply Red is mellowed by the addition of fresh grape juice.  Serve Simply Red at a cool temperature (55F) with simple foods such as burgers or grilled chicken.

Sarah says:  I really like this wine!  I'm so glad I'm coming around to red wine.  We did this one properly and drank it with chicken.  It was easy to drink with dinner.  Tasty and didn't ruin the taste of dinner.  Fruity, but not too much, and it wasn't too dry.  We enjoyed it so much, we ended up finishing the bottle talking after dinner.  I would definitely drink this again.

jon says: ok first problem i had with it was the screw off cap, i mean i know i am buying cheap wine but come on at least allow me my illusions. my second thought after tasting it was "oh i don't think sarah is going to like this". imagine my surprise when i heard "this is good" coming from my wife's lips. i honestly really like this wine it was very flavorful and satisfying.

Overall rating:  Thumbs up

St. Julian Niagara

Description on the bottle:  Near Lake Michigan, the soil, climate, and cool fermentation produce is distinctive, award-winning varietal wine.  This Niagara Wine is gushing with fresh grape and tropical fruit flavors that linger through the lightly sweet, moderately acidic and satisfying finish.  Serve chilled.

Sarah says:  Hmm... I really liked this, but it tasted like juice. White grape juice, I used to drink that a lot for breakfast, it's yummy.  I honestly got the bottle back out after the first few sips to make sure it wasn't a sparkling juice.  I really didn't think it was alcoholic.  I enjoyed drinking it, but it didn't taste like wine.  I do appreciate the honestly of this wine, it has a lot of grapes on the front of the bottle, and that is exactly what you get.  Although I thought it was tasty, if I was at a party and received this glass of wine, I would be greatly disappointed.  I wouldn't buy it again.

jon says: i hate white grape juice, something about it is gross. i think the alcohol content was the same or maybe less then that of a bottle of beer. hated it!

Overall rating:  Thumbs down
 

No comments:

Post a Comment