Thursday, June 28, 2012

Good Girl Sweet White Blend

Description on the bottle:  An easy drinking, fruity, floral wine with subtle hints of honeycomb and citrus - heavenly!  W.O. Western Cape, Product of South Africa

Sarah says:  WHAT?!  South Africa!  I had no idea I was buying international wine.  Crazy.  I went all out this time and got a bottle that was more than $10 (it was $14.99!), that's a big deal to me.  It's oh so worth it, this wine is delicious!  It's fruity, easy to drink, sweet but not too sweet, leaves a yummy fruity after taste in my mouth.  I like it.  I might even go out on a limb and say it's my favorite so far.  Apparently, price does mean better quality.

Overall rating:  Thumbs UP!

Sarah says:  I would be what most would consider a good girl.  I follow the rules, I avoid conflict, I'm quiet, pleasant, well mannered, easy to get along with, I generally don't raise my voice, I go to church, I've lived my life in the right order (ie. school, job, marriage, kids), I care for others, I got good grades, I try hard at everything I do, I'm just overall a friendly person.  There is one thing however that always catches people off guard.  I just revealed this to a few co-workers, their surprised reaction was typical, and it always makes me laugh.  I'm generally so predictable, that I enjoy catching people off guard now and then.

I have tattoos.  Yup, you read that right, tattoos... plural, as in, more than one.  I have 3 to be exact.  I'll give those of you who didn't know that a moment to pick your jaw up off the floor.




I got my first tattoo when I was 18, it's a flower, it's kind of a mix between a sunflower and a daisy.  If I could go be 18 again, I would NOT get this tattoo, but at the time it seemed like a good idea.  I don't hate it or anything, I'm glad I didn't get anything stupid that I totally regret.  The flower just doesn't have any meaning for me.  I wish I would have chosen something that has more significance, but at 18, I'm not sure what that would have been.  Now the flower is just ugly.  Something I didn't know at 18, was that tattoos need to be maintained.  They fade, especially if there is color other than black, and fine lines start to look blurry over time.  I haven't cared enough to maintain this tattoo, so now it's basically just a blurry outline of a flower that doesn't have any color.

I got my second tattoo when I was 22, it's a cross.  Most people don't ever see this one because of it's location, but it's by far my favorite tattoo.  It's actually a little tricky - my skin in the cross, the tattoo'ed portion is the shadow that cross would project.  I'm not sure what clicked in my mind to make me get this tattoo, but once I decided to do it, there was no stopping it.  I was crazy, searching through picture after picture, trying to find the right thing.  I LOVE this.  When I was much younger - I received a little wooden cross called a "cross in my pocket", I carried this thing around in my pocket for years, before it finally broke.  I loved having that little reminder of the cross and the sacrifice that Jesus made - but didn't like the fact that the cross in the pocket was breakable, and it had the potential (and often happened) of getting lost.  The cross I carry now isn't going anywhere, and either is my faith.  I have every intention of maintaining this tattoo.

I got my third tattoo when I was  28.  Jon and I made an "on the whim" decision to get tattoos together on our 5th anniversary.  We really had no big plans for our anniversary, we knew we were taking the kids to Jon's parents for the night, but after that, we were clueless.  Even the night of, we dropped off the kids, got back in the car, and said "now what?".  We tossed around a few dinner places, maybe a movie, then Jon said "Let's go get tattoos".  Jon was a tattoo virgin at the time, so I never thought he'd go for it, so I said "OK".  Next thing I know, we're getting tattoo's together.  I made him go first, because I didn't want to get mine and have him back out.  It was a tough decision about what to get.  I've always thought (and still sort of do) that relationship tattoos are the kiss of death.  Once you permanently ink something on your body about someone else, something bad always happens.  I refused to get any names, dates, hearts, or anything lovey.  We wanted it to be something between us, we get it but if someone else saw it, they wouldn't really understand.  It's not exactly a secret, if people see it and ask what it is, I tell them.  Mine is on my ankle and Jon's is on his arm, not exactly private locations.  Most of our close friends and family know what they mean, but for the sake of keeping it between us, I'm not going to write what we got in this blog.  I have no choice but to maintain this tattoo - those of you who know what it is will understand that.

I'm not sure if I'm done.  I like to think I am, 3 sounds like enough, but anytime I hear other people talking about them, I get that little itch that tells me I want another one.  I currently have no plans, I'll leave it at that for now.  I had a friend recently tell me if she were to get a tattoo, she'd get a music note for each of her kids.  I LOVE this.  If I didn't consider her one of my best friends, I would just steal it.  But in this case, I feel that it was her idea, so I'm not allowed to take it.  (You know who you are - if you decide not to do the music notes - let me know, so I can!).  In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out a way to use it, but not really use it.  I think IF I do end up with any more, I'd like them to have some meaning towards my kids, but again, I'm against names or dates.  Jon wants to get the kids zodiac signs on him, but I don't feel passionate towards those signs.  We'll see.

Sometimes people are surprised to see me with tattoos, especially one of a cross, especially since I go to church, because the Bible tells us not to.  This just annoys me.  The verse these people are referring to is Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD".  First of all, why does everyone make such a big deal out of a tattoo comment, but everyone seems to ignore the previous verse, Leviticus 19:27, that says "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard".  Does that mean we aren't supposed to cut our hair or shave?!  No way, these people will say, that's not what God meant.  I respond with, it's the same for the tattoos.  The tattoos that God refers to in the Bible are not the tattoos we get today.  Leviticus 19:26-31 deals with pagan practices and God's prohibitions against adopting those practices. In verse 28, God is warning the Jewish people about a pagan practice at funerals, where pagans would mutilate/mark themselves to appease their false gods. The pagans hoped that by cutting themselves and marking images/symbols of idols on their bodies, that they would obtain favor in the afterlife from their false gods, both for themselves and for those who just died.  That is that God is talking about, I don't believe there is any problems with getting the type of tattoos I have today.

So there you have it, I'm a rebel.  Nah, I still think I'm a good girl, but everyone has a secret side... what's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment