Thursday, June 7, 2012

Rex Goliath Chardonnay

Description on the bottle:  At the turn of the century, HRM (His Royal Majesty) Rex Goliath was a treasured circus attraction.  Weighing in at 47 lbs, Rex was billed as the "World's Largest Rooster."  Our wines are a tribute to Rex's larger than life personality with big-fruit-forward flavors sure to please.  

Our Chardonnay is like enjoying a day at a tropical beach - bright and sunny, with aromas of pineapple and citrus.

Sarah says:  I was pretty unsure about this wine during my first few sips.  I said out loud that I didn't like it (my actual words were "I like this wine about as much as I like the turkey" - more on that in a minute).  But, by my 4th or 5th sips - it was going down a lot easier.  My change of heart is similar to the description on the bottle.  I find it really odd that they went from talking about a circus rooster, to being at the beach!  But, maybe it was intentional - the first few sips were boring and bland, but then it gets sunny and exciting!  I like it.  It's fruity and sweet, but not too sweet, and goes down easily.  My biggest deciding factor is weather or not I can swallow without making a face - and this one I can!

Overall rating:  My thumbs would hold this glass again.

Sarah says:  Ok, to be honest, I bought this wine solely for the picture on the front.  It's a rooster, we're having a turkey problem.... I think the two birds are close enough relatives that I can talk about the turkey.  This all started Saturday morning.  I would like to point out it's late Thursday night (yes, 10:30 is late for me!), so we've been dealing with this for 6 full days.  In short, there is a turkey in our yard, and he's beginning to get on my last nerve.

I first saw him early Saturday in my neighbor's yard.  "That's weird," I thought, but continued on my normal Saturday activities (laundry, cleaning, making breakfast, entertaining kids, getting ready for swim lessons - all at the same time).  About 30 min later, I noticed this turkey in OUR yard... and he's pretty much been here since.  It was fun for a few days, the kids named him Turkey Lurkey, we talked a lot about birds and farm animals.  Then it got annoying, I can't let the kids run around outside because I'm not sure what this wild turkey would do if two little people start to charge it.  I'm guessing it would run away, but you never know - what if he attacks them?!  So, we've been cooped up inside.  I've removed the bird feeders and the bird bath, so he wouldn't have food or water here anymore.  I've chased him off with a bat.  Jon has chased him off with a stick and a soccer ball.  He just keeps coming back!!!  Animal control has the worst hours, and of course, our turkey here is a smartie - he disappears during animal control hours, then reappears in the mornings and evenings.  I'm so annoyed.  I live in a City (on a main road!), not a farm.  I don't really want/need a wild turkey living in my yard.  I felt slightly bad after chasing him around the other day, he was obviously terrified.  But if we are so scary, why does he keep coming back to this scary place?!

I could use some suggestions on how to handle this.  Jon has a clever idea to use Oscar's old cage, put a bunch of bird food in it, rig the door with some string, so when he enters we pull the door closed.  I'm not sure about this plan for a few reasons.  1) It's work, getting the cage set up and rigged with the string, we are self declared "lazy people," the whole thing is never gonna happen.  2) Turkey will have to duck his head to enter the cage - will he do that?  He's a lot bigger than Oscar was.  3)  How do we keep all the other birds and animals that live in our yard out of it?  4) Once he's in the cage, then what?  The cage isn't exactly easy to move around, we can't easily take it somewhere.  I was thinking once we catch him (which we probably won't do), we then wait until animal control is open and have them take care of it from there, but at least that way he can't disappear during open hours.

But basically this whole thing is just annoying.  The police told me they won't do anything, they'll just wait for him to go back to his natural habitat.  I have a few issues with this too.  1) We live in the middle of a big city, where is his natural habitat?!  2) It's been 6 days, he's not going anywhere!!!

Grr... Seriously, the strangest things happen to me.  Who has ever heard of a city girl having a turkey problem before?  On the upside, the kids think it's fascinating!  And, the more wine I drink, the funnier it gets.  Maybe I'll go get a refill!

No comments:

Post a Comment