Monday, January 20, 2014

Chardonnay Part II

Sarah says:  Here we are again, dieting means I only drink one glass of wine a night, which means it takes 6 nights to finish one bottle of wine (sometimes 5, depends on how generous I am with my servings), which means I'm still working on this bottle of Chardonnay that I don't really love, but don't dislike enough to dump it out.  I've heard about a clever little trick (which I have not tried, but am interested in), to add Sprite or 7 Up to wines that you don't love to make them a bit easier to drink and thus empty the bottle.  I apologize for the lack of variety lately.


I did something recently that I don't generally do.  I read a book (that's not the part that I'm referring to, I love to read!), and then got the great idea to immediately rent the movie.  I read The Firm, such an awesome book!!  It's a 500 page book, and somehow I managed to read it in less than a week!  WHAT?!  It usually takes me weeks, if not months, to read a book.  Not because I don't want to finish them, simply because I can't find the time.  By the time I get the time, I'm usually so sleepy, that I read a few pages and zonk out.  This book however was different, it was such a page turner that I couldn't possibly fall asleep.  It was exciting and intense, but wasn't too confusing or overwhelming.  I found time to read this book.  I stayed up into the wee hours of the night reading this book.  I specifically let the kids watch extra TV (mother of the year, right here!) just so I could read an extra chapter.  I liked it, a lot more than I liked this wine.  (as a side note, this book was also very different than the normal romance that I usually read.  It's possible that I liked it so much simply because it was something different).

So, once finished, I was so excited, I rushed to the library and rented it!  (Another side note:  I completely don't understand why anyone would ever pay to rent a movie, the library is full of free ones!)  Jon warned me that the movie wasn't good.  I ignored him.  Tom Cruise wouldn't disappoint, plus the book was just so good!  Oh wow, was I wrong.  The movie was dull, and didn't have any of the exciting intensity that the book had.  Tom didn't capture the enthusiasm that Mitch, the young lawyer had for his new job and being the best.  They totally ruined the story between him and his wife, making it seem like they actually broke up instead of that just being a planned distraction.  The private investigator died wwaaayyyyy too quickly.  They didn't include the big hideout/hunt at the end.  It was boring, I found myself reaching for the tablet to play Candy Crush less than halfway through.  

In all fairness, I'm not sure how to properly turn a 500 page book into a 2 hour movie, but they needed to keep trying with this one.  Don't waste your time on it.  Just like this wine, sadly it's not worth it.

What's your favorite book turned movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment