Thursday, September 27, 2012

Lemon Creek Part II

Sarah says:

Tonight I enjoyed another glass of delicious Lemon Creek wine.  In our new apartment our living room didn't have the same amount of space as our old house, so we ended up with a big extra chair (actually 2, but we only brought 1 with us), and that chair ended up in our bedroom.  I've always like the idea of having a reading chair in the bedroom.  1) Because if I read in bed, I fall asleep - while good sometimes, sometimes I really want to read!  2) Because if I read on the couch I end up being distracted by everything else going on in the living room.  Honestly, I think I would have preferred the other big chair to become my reading chair because it's a bit bigger, so two people could read and snuggle at the same time, and it has an ottoman to sprawl out on - but that chair was too big for the apartment too!  And in reality, I think I like the idea of two people snuggling on that big chair, but our schedules never really allowed it.  I still ended up with a comfy chair in my bedroom, I placed a lamp behind it, and it's right next to the dresser - it's the perfect distance to place a glass of wine.  Far enough away that I'm not afraid I'm going to knock it over, but close enough to reach it without straining.  Perfect.

So, tonight I grabbed my Lemon Creek wine, and a book.  I've mentioned before that I enjoy reading cheesy romance books - so this book should come as no surprise.  It's called "Between the Sheets" - here's the book description:  How do you have a life when everyone in America thinks you gave the president-elect a fatal heart attack during an illicit sex romp?  Emma Jamison never thought she'd have to answer that question, but here she is, smack dab in the middle of a political scandal that would make Monica Lewinsky blush. Trouble is, nobody believes that Emma wasn't the call-girl who killed the president-to-be with her, uh, carnal skills.  So Emma packs up and moves to small-town Chartreuse, LA, to escape her infamy and to start over. But when her grandmother starts dating the grandfather of district attorney Max Duval, the quiet life she was seeking blows up in smoke. 

It's everything I love about a cheesy romance novel - predictable, fast paced, easy to read, steamy, and funny.  It's one of that books that if you get sleepy and start to zone out, that you don't miss too much, but it's good enough to keep you intrigued and coming back for more.  While it has the basic story of a typical romance story - it talks about a bigger issue.  It's all about this woman who ended up with a bad reputation (simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time) and the struggles she went through trying to rebuild that reputation.  That got me thinking - once you've developed a reputation, is it ever possible to change how people think of you?  Seems to me that no matter how much you try to change about yourself, there is always going to be that person that remembers the old you and talks about it.  Sure, you can ignore the bad comments, make changes slowly and be patient so people don't even realize it's happening, you can be honest and own up to previous bad mistakes - but at the end of the day, does that ever really change your reputation?  I feel like people would just think you are being fake, or being someone your not if you try to change ways - but at the same time, embracing the bad reputation and taking the "if they are saying it, it might as well be true" approach doesn't seem like the best idea either!  

I have no answers here - ugh, cheesy romance novel!  You are supposed to help me clear my mind of stress so I can sleep - not make me think!  Anyone have any suggestions - can you really rebuild a reputation?


On a completely unrelated note - the second thing that I can't stop thinking about is how much time I've just wasted using my regular old keyboard - thanks Gerrit!  http://www.ergonomicguy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment