Monday, December 23, 2013

Casillero del Diablo

Description on the bottle:  Casillero del Diablo Reserva Privada is a limited edition assemblage of selected grapes.  The wine is comprised of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon from Pirque in Malpo Valley, the origin of Casillero del Diablo, and 30% Syrah from the hillsides of Peumo, in Rapel Valley.  Casillero del Diablo Reserva Privada has been aged in French oak barrels for 14 months.

Sarah says:  That's a lot of fancy words, all I know is, I like it.  It's smoother than I would have expected, but it definitely has a bit of a kick at the end.  It's not overly strong, but has a little something to it.  I like it!  I'm very glad that I'm expanding into the world of reds.

Overall rating:  Thumbs up!

Sarah says:  On this Eve before Christmas Eve, I need to share a conversation that Liam and I had a few weeks ago.  This topic has been highly debated and discussed, so I figure, why not throw my thoughts into the mix!

Here's the conversation (this was a few days before Thanksgiving):
Liam:  Mom, how many more days until the holidays?
Me:  Which holiday, there are several coming up?
Liam:  Christmas.
Me:  Why didn't you just say Christmas?
Liam:  "So-and-so" calls it the holidays.  How many more days?
Me:  Well, we call it Christmas, so from now on, how about you say that, ok?
Liam (never to miss an opportunity to ask this question):  Why?  Why does "so-and-so" call it holidays but we call it Christmas?  How many more days?
Me:  Well, some people feel more comfortable with holidays, I feel comfortable with Christmas.  You can call it either, but I prefer that you call it Christmas.
Liam:  Why?  How many days??!!
Me:  31 days until Christmas.  I think of the holidays as the season, Christmas is the specific date you are asking about.
Liam:  Ok, 31 days, I'm going to play outside.

Sarah says:  So I realize he was really just trying to get the number of days he has to wait for Santa to deliver his bounty of presents, but it still has the holiday vs. Christmas debate at hand.  Per the New Jersey News, 67% of American's prefer Merry Christmas, while a mere 18% pick Happy Holidays.  The remaining 15% would rather not say anything.

So, if the majority of people prefer Merry Christmas, how come it's so taboo to say it?  I try to stay as far away from religious and political debates as possible, but for some reason this one catches my attention.  I grew up saying Merry Christmas, and I want my kids to do the same.  I fear that if they start saying Happy Holidays now, they will never feel comfortable with Merry Christmas.  To me, it isn't about forcing Christianity on those that don't believe, it's about us celebrating what we DO believe.  It's kind of like Santa, kids believe, adults don't.... but you don't see a bunch of adults telling kids not to believe.  No way, we embrace their belief and try to get them to believe as long as possible.  Why can't those that don't believe in Christmas, just be happy for those of us that do believe, and leave the rest alone?

To my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah!  To my African friends, Happy Kwanzaa!  I'm not trying to take away anyone's beliefs, why are some trying to take away mine?

Is it Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment