Tuesday, October 9, 2012

St. Julian Simply Pink

It looks less red and more pink in real life.
Description on the bottle:  This delicious, semi-dry blush wine is made to enjoy on a warm summer evening, or next to the fire on a cold winter night.  Serve slightly shilled to experience an explosion of summer fruit and berry aromas and flavors.  We are proud sponsors of the National Breast Cancer Foundation.  The entire St. Julian Family is committed to helping women and their families in the fight to cure Breast Cancer.  Dedicated to the memory of Julia Meconi Braganini (1926-1971).

Sarah says:  Ever since drinking St. Julian's Riesling I was really interested in going to the St. Julian winery to try some more of their delicious wines.  And delicious they were.  St. Julian also had some pretty tasty vodka made from grapes that they mixed with some juice and gave us a little cocktail.  So yummy!  

Although the Simply Pink is quite tasty - it's light, fruity, easy to drink, everything I love about a blush wine, I bought the bottle for another reason.  For every bottle of Simply Pink sold, St. Julian makes a donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.  The breast cancer statistics are mind boggling.  According to breastcancer.org 1 in 8 women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.  I don't support breast cancer research because I have personally dealt with it - I support it because I haven't personally dealt with it and I'd like to keep it that way.  

Yes, I've known people that have been through (and survived!) it.  Co-workers, friends of friends, church family - but no one in at least 3 generations of my family.  Between the moms, grandma's, aunts, sisters, cousins, and daughters in both my immediate and my married family - No one has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  There are definitely more than 8 women there - we are pushing the odds - and for that I'm ridiculously grateful.  I've pondered doing the 3-day walk.  I know most people do that in honor or memory of someone - I'd do it just to raise my money to fund the research.  Breastcancer.org also says that the death rates have been decreasing since 1990, mostly the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.  I support breast cancer research to continue that trend. 

I don't know what it's like to be diagnosed with breast cancer, and I hope it's not something I'll ever experience.  To all the women out there that have received that horrible news:  I admire you.  I admire your courage, your fight, your determination, your persistence, your acceptance, and your strength.  You provide hope and give me someone to look up to.  To anyone currently fighting:  Keep up the battle, you are not alone, you are a strong, amazing, woman - of all the things in the world, cancer won't be the thing to bring you down.  To anyone who lost someone to breast cancer - I'm so sorry for your loss, please accept my sympathy.  

I wish there was more that I could do to stop such a horrible disease.  For now I'll just keep supporting the research in any way that I can, and tonight that support is through this bottle of wine.  St. Julian Simply Pink rocks!

Overall rating:  Thumbs and toes up!

No comments:

Post a Comment