Sunday, August 26, 2012

Winking Owl Part II

Sarah says:  First things first - I need to publicly apologize for saying that my sister, Anne, recommended this wine in my last blog.  Apparently, there is more than one $2.85 wine out there, and I got the wrong one.  Winking Owl is NOT the wine that Anne likes.  Sorry for making you look bad!  I'll have to go back and search for your wine.... or someone could always buy it for me to prevent further mishaps!  :-) 

I'm relieved that she didn't like it, because its makes my next paragraph so much easier to write.  This wine is awful.  This is my third night on the bottle because I can't force myself to drink more than one glass as a time.  I have to literally force myself to take each sip.  Each glass is getting progressively worse too.  I keep telling myself to dump it, because at $2.85 a bottle it's not really a loss.  But at the same time, even a little waste, is still waste, and I hate to waste.  My frugalness is is going nuts right now.  If I can manage it, I will drink 2 glasses tonight and call this bottle a goner.  I'm about 1/2 way through my first glass, and dreading it.

Christian Grey would be quite disappointed in this wine.  He never would have bothered with it in the first place, but would definitely be tisk tisk'ing me for suffering through it.  He wouldn't have the patience for such things.  Of course, if I was making $100,000 an hour I probably wouldn't feel the need to be frugal either.  And if I was with Christian Grey I would... wait, where was I going with this?  Yup, I'm onto the second book of the 50 Shades of Grey books.  And it's delicious.  Here's the thing, I'm torn about if I'm allowed to enjoy these books.  It seems that most people either love them or hate them.  Either, you can't put it down, or you think it's smut.  It bothers me when people talk about the writing - it's not meant to be this amazingly written piece of literature - it's just meant to be an entertaining story, lighten up people!  Since I'm fairly religious, I feel like I'm not supposed to like them.  It seems to me, the more religious people are, the more against these books they are.  I've read this blog which had some fairly interesting arguments on why as a christian female I shouldn't be reading 50 Shades of Grey, so then I felt guilty.  But at the same time, there is this side of me that says, all our lives our parents encourage us to read and read and read some more, so shouldn't everyone be jumping for joy that all these women are reading?  Plus, from what I've heard from my friends, reading this book has been helping their sex lives - people everywhere are happier, why would we want to stop that?!

My opinion... I like the books.  I'm not reading all three in a week like so many people I know.  I read the first in about 5 days, I'm about in target to finish the 2nd in about the same amount of time.  I didn't have to run out and get the 2nd book the next day, I waited until someone could loan it to me.  I'm curious about what is going to happen to Christian and Anastasia.  The story is intriguing, just like any other book.  Am I turned off by all of the sex?  Not really.  I love reading romance - it's easy to read and takes me away from the dull of my life.  I've read a lot of sex scenes in my nightly reading.  Am I turned on by all of the sex?  Not really.  After reading the same thing so many times, it becomes a little old.  Am I surprised by some of the sex?  Not really.  How do I put this without sounding like a freak?  Most things that Christian Greg has can be found in Lovers Lane or Priscilla's - it's not like he's the first person to be into these things.  I mean, it's a bit odd to have a whole room devoted to this, but the items themselves are not that crazy.  I enjoy a little chocolate every now and then... plus, they say a piece of dark chocolate every day can be good for your heart.  

They also say a glass or two of red wine can be good for your heart.  It appears I'm going to live forever!  Time to go get that refill and get back to reading!

1 comment:

  1. Toss the dang wine away!!! You and Jon deserve a trip either a) down US-12 towards and past Jackson to the wineries or b) and better yet - go to Traverse City and up that peninsula for wine tasting.

    I plan to read 50 Shades....Christian, Jew, Agnostic - whatever, it is entertainment (or so I hear) and God gave that woman the gift of writing - well, I hear that it is not great writing by any means.

    If you have it in true book form, can I borrow it? If not, I'll get it from one of my teacher friends....hey! They are all reading it and they are your children's educators!!!

    ReplyDelete