Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ticker Tape Chardonnay

Description on the bottle:  None  :-(

Sarah says:  I gave this bottle as a birthday gift because I thought the name Ticker Tape sounded sort of accountant-ish, and we're both accountants.  Well, Deb, I'm so sorry, this just isn't very good.  I'll owe you a better bottle!  It lacks much flavor and leaves a dry blah taste in my mouth.  I think I've officially made the switch to preferring reds.

Overall rating:  Thumbs down

Sarah says:  Speaking of things Tickers, my heart has been heavy for several days.  The tragedy surrounding us these days is overwhelming.  The two really impacting me lately:  the South Korea ferry disaster, and the 2nd grader hit by a car in a Canton Public School parking lot... I'm assuming these both hit closer to my heart since they involve kids.  

The ferry boat is just a nightmare, 300 kids killed in one night.  I can't even imagine the terror those kids experienced in their final moments.  Alone, away from family, thinking they were doing the right thing by doing as they were told, they totally trusted those adult crew members, and they were completely let down.  And for those parents, the horror knowing your child is among those that will likely die, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.  It's not just boys and girls, it's daughters and sons.  I go back and forth between sad for the kids, mad, and sad again for the parents.  It makes me want to hold my kids and never let them go anywhere again.  

And Emily, a 9 year old, hit by a car in a school parking lot.  A complete and horrible accident, with her own Mom behind the wheel.  I literally cannot express how sad that is.  I cry thinking about it.  The grief that the Mom must be experiencing, I'm devastated by it, I cannot comprehend what she must be going through.  I seriously cannot think of anything worse as a parent, I'm sure she wants more than anything to switch places with her daughter.  I feel so fortunate that even after hectic frustrating mornings with my kids, I always get that chance in the evenings to recover from it.  To never have that opportunity again would be life changing.  I hope that family finds a way to find happiness again, it will be hard, I hope they are strong enough for it.

Stories like this make me love my kids a little harder.  It's sad that it takes another's tragedy to remind me how good I have it.  We all have it good, even when it doesn't seem that way, just imagine what these families are going through, and it's a sad reminder that you'd probably much rather be sucking it up through your troubles than theirs right now.  So tonight, once again, I squeeze my kids a little tighter, I spend a little extra time reading and chatting with them, I pay more attention to them, I turn off the TV, Kindle, phone and computer, I give them the extra scoop of ice cream, I become a better Mom.  I hope these parents know, that all over the world, people are thinking of them, loving them, hoping to take their pain away.  And hopefully, one day, they'll be able to do the same thing for another again.


No comments:

Post a Comment