Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Palacio Del Conde Part II

Sarah says:  The more I drink this wine, the more I like it.  It's just a good old red wine, nothing fancy about it, but it's tasty.  It seems the more time I spend with it, the better it gets!

Speaking of things that get better with time... running!  The body really is an amazing thing.  Feed it right, move it right, and it will do great things for you.  I am by no means winning marathons here, but my latest 5K went quite well.

I had set an goal of completing in under 29 minutes, which would put me at a pace of 9:20 (my best record was 29:30 total, 9:30 pace).  My initial results were disappointing... 30:45 total.  But, after hearing some grumbling that the course was actually longer than a 5K, I mapped the run and discovered it was 3.5 miles, almost a half mile too long!  (Total side rant here, as much as I want Detroit to survive, if they can't even properly map out 3.1 miles, that's pretty sad.  I don't mind that it was 3.5 miles, I just wish they would publish the results as if it was that distance!).  Anyways, get out the calculator folks, 3.5 miles in 30:45 min equals a pace of 8:47.  That pace in a 5K would have put my total time at 27:14!  That means I didn't just beat my goal, I blew it out of the water!  Yay me!  I'm happy that all that practicing wasn't for nothing.



But, the numbers chick in me wants to see the official results published with my success.  The way it currently stands, my pace is just under 10 minutes, yuck.  So, although unplanned, I'm going to run another race in a few months.  This one will be at the Canton Liberty Fest... here's the great thing about this run: The start and finish lines are less than a mile from my house.  The course goes along a trail that I run weekly in the summer.   I know every little bump and turn along this run.  I am soooo going to personal record this race!  I'm totally pumped about it, I took a week off to rest, but just wrote up my plan, full of intervals, cross-training, and running the actual course.  I can't wait to get started on it!

Tonight I lift my glass to running, to things getting better with time, and to hard work paying off.

What have you gotten better at lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment