Monday, November 4, 2013

DeLoach Part II

Sarah says:  There are pros and cons of a wine club.  Pro - wine delivered to my door!  Con - duplicates.  You can read my first thoughts of this wine here, my second thoughts are pretty similar.  I like it, don't love it.

Speaking of things that I like, but don't love, Halloween.  Halloween has it's own set of pros and cons.  Pros: CANDY!  One day to be someone/something totally our of character.  Crazy costumes.  CONS:  Weight gain.  Greedy people.  Sticky kids.  Expensive outfits.

Halloween seems to bring out the worst in people.  The greed that some people show is unbelievable.  I've seen people steal bags of candy from kids.  I've seen people with bags busting at the seams, keep going back for more.  I've seen people laughing at scared little kids.  I've seen people pushing and shoving to be the first in line for the mini snickers bar.  Halloween isn't very fun.  But this year, Halloween opened my eyes to a new appreciation for my own kiddos.

First, they did the typical thing.  They begged for the fancy expensive costumes.  So, we took them to Salvation Army and let them find a close second (I won't spend a lot of money on something they wear for a few hours!).  Then they begged for new bags.  Nope, do last year's have holes?  Then they still work fine.  But then they did something that amazed me.  After trick or treating, I watched my kids share with each other, give candy away to their friends when they didn't get what they wanted, and tell others their costumes were great.  Then, there was this awesome conversation:

Liam:  Here Mom, this one is for you.
Me:  No thanks, sweetie, I don't need any.
Liam:  But Mom, it's your favorite.
Me:  It is, but it's yours, you earned it.
Liam:  But Mom, I picked it out for you.
Me:  :-)

I couldn't say no.  In the middle of the sugar high and ninja turtle action, he stopped to pick out a piece of my favorite candy.  How awesome is that.  Leave it to Halloween to bring out the best in my kids!  Sometimes I think I'm failing as a parents, but nights like that make me see I'm actually doing alright.

I'll drink to that!  (After I finish this awesome candy bar!)






No comments:

Post a Comment