Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DeLoach Part III

Sarah says:  I slept good last night.  That is a rare statement coming from me.  Sleep and I aren't exactly the best of friends.  I generally want it, but it won't come to me.  I often lay awake a night, unable to turn off the brain, thinking about nothing specific.  So, when the occasional good night sleep occurs, I generally try to re-do everything I did the night before in an attempt to duplicate the night.  It never works, but I try anyways.

So... last night I drank a glass of DeLoach and blogged, tonight I'm drinking a glass of DeLoach and am blogging.  Last night I washed the dishes before bed, tonight I have every intention of washing dishes once I'm done here.  Last night I wore my pink PJ's, tonight I'm wearing my pink PJ's.  Last night I read a chapter of a book, tonight I will read a chapter of a book - maybe the same chapter just to be safe.  

I will likely not sleep great tonight.  Two nights in a row is really pushing my luck.  On average, I'd say about 2 nights of sleep a week are ok, meaning I get about 7 hours.  I get around 4-5 hours the other 5 nights a week.  I have a sleeping pill, but I'm always so groggy the next day from it, that I don't really love taking it.  If I ever had the opportunity to sleep in, to let it wear off, then maybe I'd give it a go, but even on the weekends my kiddos are up so early, it's just not worth it.  If I'm going to be sleepy either way, I'd rather be natural sleepy vs drug sleepy.  I consider it a good night sleep if I only needed one cup of coffee to get me going.  I generally drink 3, 4 on really bad days.

So, even with my lack of success trying to recreate my good luck, I keep going for it.  Why?  Is it a natural instinct?  Or am I just crazy?  I know lots of people who believe in good luck charms.  Wearing a favorite article of clothing, or sitting in the proper chair seems to bring people good luck (especially during sports games!).  Some people believe holding a particular item, hearing a certain song, or even a kiss from a loved one can bring certain types of good luck.  I'm curious, does it ever work?  It must, or else people wouldn't keep doing it, right?  Then what am I doing wrong in my trying to bring myself the good fortune of sleep?  Maybe it's not the entire night-time routine, but just one particular item.  And if that was the case, how would one go about determining what that one particular item was?  It couldn't have been the wine, I do that all the time.  It couldn't have been the dishes, or the reading, or the pink PJ's... all of those are constants in my life.  It seems to me that finding that one tiny good luck charm is nearly impossible.  Is that why it's a charm, because it's tiny?  I just don't understand the concept of good luck.

Maybe it has nothing to do with luck at all.  Maybe it's all about the effort put into something and the conditions being right to accept that effort.  What would people think if there was no such thing as luck.  Output always depended on input.  Would people try harder, or just get discouraged?

Tonight, I'm believing in luck.  I'm going to drink my wine, wash the dishes, put on my pink PJ's, read a book.  Then I'm going to climb into bed a test my luck.  Or maybe I'm actually putting in all that effort, and will get rewarded with good results in the end!

Do you believe in luck? 

No comments:

Post a Comment