Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Le Prince Part II

Sarah says:  Check out what Liam got!  No, not the wine, a desk!  Now that we are two months into 1st grade, I discovered that Liam needed a place to do homework.  We were using the kitchen table for awhile, but we didn't have a good place for "stuff".  We had a pile of important information stacked on a chair, and we had pencils, markers, glue, and paper in miscellaneous spots all over the apartment.  It made homework time an impossible time.  We spent 10 minutes just looking for the last place we left the markers.  So, when we saw this desk on clearance at IKEA, we couldn't resist. 

I know what you are thinking, it's so plain and boring... that's the point.  It's perfect.  Plain and boring = no distractions.  I'm even still a little unsure about the paper holders on top.  That gives him something else to focus on other than the assignment in front of him, but I like that it allows him to have certain tools readily available (numbers chart, current weeks spelling list, blank paper).  I got a drawer organizer, so now pencils have a spot, markers have a spot, crayons have a spot, glue has a spot, tape has a spot, erasers have a spot, rulers have a spot, index cards have a spot, staples have a spot, scissors have a spot... you get the point.  Liam now has a place, that is all his, that allows him to get focused on his work without the "excuses" of being unable to find something, and the distractions of the kitchen table (ie, Mary).  I made sure the lighting was right, and the chair was adjustable to just the right height.

$70 or so later, we have a homework spot.  It was worth every single penny.  At this point, I'm not handing out advice to ADHD parents yet, I'm mostly just soaking in anything that I can.  But, if I was forced to say something, I would say this: get a desk.  It's made a world of difference for us.  Not only does it allow us to avoid the obstacles mentioned above, but it gives Liam some independence.  He can get his own supplies, without getting frustrated when things aren't where he expects them to be, which caused us to be annoyed, which caused him to get upset.  Now, he finds things without needing help, and he knows where to put them back.  It  also gives him a space to try his homework without Jon and I starring down his back, but we are still close enough that he can call for help when he needs it.  Get a desk. 

Then, go open a bottle of wine, and sit back and watch your child grow.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought to include a bottle of wine on my children's desks as they were studying. No wonder they didn't do as well in school....

    In all seriousness, I taught a "homework skills" class and this was one of the things I stressed. Each child should have a nice specific place that is NOT the kitchen table for homework. Good job!

    ReplyDelete