Saturday, February 9, 2013

Riesling

Sarah says:  St. Julian Riesling - yup, still my favorite.  I love this wine.  It's like my comfort food - I drink it when I'm down because I know exactly what to expect from it, and I love that.  It's always delicious, always drinkable, always relaxing.  LOVE.  This particular bottle was a Christmas present from my sister, because she' pretty awesome like that.  Other awesome things... having Jon home in the evenings.  I'm totally loving that, although it does make it harder for me to blog... sorry I've been a little distant lately.  Apparently, I do most of my wine tasting alone!

So, why is it that I needed comfort wine tonight?  Well, I'm sad/happy about the fact that my Mary is growing up.  Not only did she turn 4 last week (I struggled with both my kids turning 4 - it's like they are officially no longer babies!), but today she... got ... a... haircut!!!  I know, I know, I'm a horrible person... I cut her beautiful baby curls off.  I just couldn't handle the time and pain spent brushing those tangles anymore.  Seriously, thin curly hair is not easy to brush.  Especially, when it's on a drama queen who cries at the smallest pull.  Here is a before pic... look closely, and you'll see the really thin baby hairs are most of the way down her back, and when I'd pull it straight, it was touching butt!
So, we were ready for the hair cut - for many reasons.  It was getting too long to handle, it always looked a mess, it was probably unhealthy, it was 100 different lengths, and well, I just felt it was time.  Although Mary insisted she didn't want a haircut, she didn't put up a fight either.  She kept telling me she was nervous, but once she found out she'd be getting a prize at the end, she quickly got over her fear and jumped on the seat.  She sat very still, and did a wonderful job!  Here we are mid cut:  Notice the book they had to have her sit on so they could get the very bottom of her hair without getting on their knees!
I'm happy/sad about this for a lot of reasons.  Happy because that's several less inches of hair I have to try to get a brush through each day.  Sad because it means we are running out of good firsts.  Think about it, the first few years of life are full of firsts, and they are all amazing!  First smiles, giggles, words, steps, foods, baths.... etc.  As they get older, the exciting firsts run low, and turn more terrifying.... first day of school (that's going to be a tear jerker), chicken pox, slumber parties, driving, stepping foot outside without ME ... don't even get me started on first dates and kisses.  I'm running out of fun firsts, and that makes me sad!  I'm hanging on tight to today - we did the hair cut, then had a little girl time, went shopping, went on a lunch date, just the two of us - which never happens since she's more of a Daddy's girl!  The good news is:  we have two other big firsts coming up this year - first dance recital is in a few months, and first trip to Disney this summer (ie. first time meeting a Princess!!)!  After that, I'm going to need more wine to get me through it all.

Beautiful!

That's totally her "Mom, stop taking pictures so I can go get my prize" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment