Saturday, April 28, 2012

J.W. Morris Moscato



Description on the bottle:  Our California Moscato provides succulent Muscat flavors with peach and floral aromas without cloying one's palate.  Relax and enjoy this light Moscato with your favorite dessert.

jon says: there is nothing like sitting down with someone you love after a long day and sharing a glass or a bottle of wine together. before i even open the bottle i already see something i like, a tab that allows me to open the bottle easier then trying to figure out a houdini magic trick. another big plus is real cork, i feel like the rubbery corks are fake and cheap. now down the the actual wine. at first taste, it was so sweat i thought i might go blind. i would not recommend this wine to a diabetic. but the further down in the glass i get the more i like it. 

Sarah says:  haha... Jon, I think it's funny that you mentioned the excitement over the real cork.  That is very telling about the quality of wine we are buying.  My brother-in-law today was telling me about some great wine, but then mentioned that it was somewhere in the $35-$40 range.  I just laughed.  We are wine newbies.  $10 is an expensive bottle for us.  Maybe eventually we'll get to those better wines, but first we have to suffer through these.  If anyone feel the need to support our cause by purchasing better bottles of wine for us, feel free!  We'd be happy to blog about it!

This wine is crazy sweet and fruity.  My first sip I was blown away with how fruity it was.  I'm not sure what it means to "cloy one's palate", but I think mine was cloyed.  It's so strong!  It tastes more like juice.  I think this would taste good with an angel food cake.  That cake isn't too sweet, and tastes pretty good with fruit, so this could be used as a fruit substitute.

Once I read that this should be enjoyed with a dessert, I went and took 2 bites of Liam's leftover birthday cake (I was hoping to get the full experience here).  That was pretty tasty.  I'm not sure if it helped me enjoy the wine, but I certainly enjoyed the excuse to eat some more cake!  Speaking of Liam's birthday.  We had a successful 5-year old birthday bowling party.  It was fun, but exhausting.  Good or bad... I like ending today with a glass of wine.

Overall:  Indecisive thumb

9 comments:

  1. Just so you know...I cannot stand sweet or fruity wines. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fruity wine person - definitely do not like sweet wine! You and Jon should give the kids to a grandparent (or great aunt) one day and go on a day trip along Michigan Ave is it? We toured all of these wineries. It was fun. However, the ones up in Lelanaw Peninsula were fabulous! Go for the day wine tour - west of Jackson. You'll have a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so not a Muscato fan...way too sweet for me.
      Enjoying your wine blog and agree that there is no better way to end the evening. I find it very relaxing.

      I'll look for a bottle of something good to share w/you two.

      You may have second careers as writers...you're both entertaining with words.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. John and sara... I recently attended a wedding and discovered this wonderful moscoto. I myself am new to wine, and this flavor made my palate very very happy :-) my only issue now is finding someplace nearby that sells it! Google and I are on a mission :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We found this wine at Trader Joe's a couple years ago. We even served it at our wedding. We love it and we will NEVER graduate to the dryer wines. Pinot Grigio is about as dry as we get, and that we have to drink with food. Anyway, now Trader Joe's doesn't have it. Does anyone know another place to buy this wine? We are in Cleveland, Ohio area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Holiday Market - they have a huge wine selection!

      Delete
  5. We find that Trader Joe's isn't carrying J. W. Morris anymore! How will I survive????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so disappointed that TJ's no longer sells it. the substitute for it that they have is nothing like JW Morris. Sitting here enjoying my LAST bottle and trying to find someplace that still sells it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could find a place in Phoenix where I could still buy J.W. Morris wines. Does anyone know of such a divine place?

    ReplyDelete