Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sleepytime Extra

Description on the box:  Nothing promotes physical and mental well being like a good night's sleep.  So when you need something to help you unwind, enjoy a cup of Sleepytime Extra.  This relaxing and delicious herbal tea starts with the time-honored blend of chamomile, spearmint and other soothing herbs found in our beloved Sleepytime tea.  We add Valerian, trusted as a sleep aid since the days of the Greeks and Romans because of its mild sedative properties.  The result is a tea with trusted calming effect and great taste of Sleepytime, plus a little "extra" to gently lull you to sleep.

Sarah says:  I know, I know... drinking tea on my wine blog is 100% cheating, but I'm drinking tea tonight for several reasons.... which I will get to in a minute.  I like my tea fairly mild, I usually steep about 5 min or less, and add a small squirt of honey.  This tea is my 2nd favorite.  My favorite is called "Moonlight Mint" - I've never been able to purchase it on my own.  My Garby bought it for me the first time I ever had tea, and I loved it, but was never able to find it in the stores in MI.  When Garby lived in IN she'd buy it for me whenever we went to visit.  This Sleepytime Extra is the closest I've ever been able to find to my Moonlight Mint.  It is delicious, with it's light minty flavor.  It leaves my mouth refreshed, and my body warm.

So, why the tea instead of wine?  Well, there are three reasons:

1)  The crazy Michigan weather has my sinuses going crazy, things are draining and my throat has been killing me for a few days.  The heat from tea always makes my throat feel better.  Plus, there is something that just feels comforting about tea - I'm pretty sure that has something to do with me being introduced to tea by my Garby.  I'm always flooded with memories of tea parties with Garby, with tea being poured from a pretty tea pot and munching special cookies.  Tea warms my body and my heart.

2)  I'm a self declared insomniac.  Sometimes this comes in handy - while everyone else is "waisting time" sleeping, I'm catching up on work, laundry, dishes, reading, and praying.  Other times it's a drag, I feel tired, but I just lay in bed tossing and turning.  Lately, I've really had the desire to sleep, probably because I haven't been feeling that great, but sleep hasn't been coming.  I'm hoping the Sleepytime Extra will help me get the sleep results I desire tonight.

3)  The box says this tea promotes relaxation - and tonight I need some of that!  I had absolutely the worst experience at McDonald's ever tonight.  Here's the thing  - I know that McD's isn't high class, and it's horribly unhealthy for me and my kids, but sometimes I just can't resist a double cheeseburger, with those itty bitty little onions that you can't get anywhere else, and being able to take my kids somewhere they can run around like animals and not get dirty looks.  So, off we went.  And it was a nightmare.  Apparently, a kid took a fall and got a bloody nose in the play place, that in itself isn't the end of the world, it happens.  It's the manager who yelled at everyone to get out of the kids area that upset me.  She didn't raise her voice to get our attention, she yelled, more like screamed, at us to get out.  I literally jumped, and thought we were in trouble for being too loud or something.  I had no idea what as going on, just that we were being reprimanded for something and needed to leave.  Eventually, we were told that they just needed to clean the area.  Fine.  So we got some ice cream and waited.  Meanwhile, yelling woman barked orders at the poor employees cleaning, and banged on the windows to get their attention.  My poor kids were literally scared of her.  This is typical for Liam, but not Mary.  Mary generally lets stuff roll right off her back, but she was clinging to me.  They actually said they would have preferred to leave than wait for the play place to be clean - because she was that scary.  I eventually did something I never do in restaurants - complained.  I spoke with a manager about how this lady was being way too harsh and was making us all uncomfortable.  She needed both customer service skills and management training.  She was just so disrespectful to everyone.  I was proud of myself for speaking up.  So, finally, we get back into the play place - and we are sitting next to a fairly large family.  There was swearing, burping, and just inappropriate behavior by both the adults and kids.  Again, I realize we weren't at a high class place, but there is just a politeness that I expect.  Plus, it's a family place, shouldn't we act like families, not animals?  We ended up leaving earlier than I wanted because I just couldn't take it anymore.  Long story short - I probably won't be going back to that one for awhile.

So, tonight I'm drinking tea, hopefully to accomplish my goals of feeling better, sleeping, and relaxing.

How do you cure a sore throat and a stressful day?

No comments:

Post a Comment